Tags

, , , , , , , , , ,

The big news in the Hyundai A-League today was the purchase by Manchester City of 80% of Melbourne Heart, with a consortium including Melbourne Storm purchasing the remaining 20%. Many news articles were very encouraging of this purchase including Fox Sports Australia, Back Page Football, The World Game, The Australian, the Miami Herald, The Mirror, The Age, Goal.com and MLSSoccer.com and at this point I have not seen any negative articles about the sale.

Something that has already been discussed is the change of name from Melbourne Heart to Melbourne City FC. This goes in line with Manchester City FC and New York City FC, who are said to be a long way from signing a stadium deal in the Bronx.

The other discussion point at the moment will be the training facilities that will be built in Melbourne at Melbourne Heart/City HQ. Obviously, this will be inspired by the facilities that are nearly completed in Manchester but the resources and power of Sheikh Mansoor will make this an interesting place for all potential young players. The academy that Man City operate from under 8s all the way up, with a consistent playing style, means that Melbourne Heart/City will play with a different style and with players from all over the world that current scouts would not have access to.

In my opinion, this is a fantastic move for the A-League and I wish Manchester City all the best.

Which overseas club would you like to see investing in YOUR A-League club and why? Leave your comments below.

About these ads